7th and 8th Grade Band Class Expectations and Procedures
Classroom Expectations and Procedures
- Listen: Listening is the key to the success of each student and the band ensemble. Be an attentive listener at all times. This includes listening to all instructions and listening to yourself and others while playing in class.
- Come Prepared: Come to each class with your instrument, band folder and all equipment you need for class. Coming prepared also includes knowing materials cover from previous classes.
- Be Play Ready: Students should be play ready at any monument during class. This includes playing with the ensemble as a whole, as a section, or individual playing.
- Perform to Your Highest: Each student should strive to play to the best of his or her abilities. Know your individual parts and role so you can be a strong addition to the ensemble.
- Respect: Be respectful to other and yourself. Ask questions in by raising your hand. Do not play out of turn. Be encouraging to others playing.
Classroom Discipline and Consequences
Students are expected to meet and follow all classroom procedures and expectations. For students who choose not to meet these guidelines the following consequences will apply.
1st: Verbal Warning from the Teacher
2nd: Point Deductions from Daily Grade
3rd: Contact Parent
4th: Student will be referred to the office for further discipline action
Students who continually came to class unprepared will be set back to their classroom to study, and will be expected to make up the missed band class material with the Band Director after school within one week.
50% Classroom Participation and Preparation
30% Performances and Playing Tests
20% Home Practice Sheets
Students are to be on task in class and prepared to play at all times. Lack of participation during class will result in a lowering of the student’s participation grade and additionally the student will fall behind in that day’s lesson.
Each Monday, students will be given a practice log to complete each week. The assigned lines and practice times will be included. Each student should practice the assignment for the week then have a parent sign the practice log. Forms are returned the following Monday. Home practice is a very important part of individual success in the band class. Students should practice until they have a solid grasp on the music.
Performance and Playing Tests
Through the year, students will be given playing tests to measure the individual skills of each player. These tests will be graded based on each players skill and level of playing and will be a component of their class grade. Attendance at band performances is also graded and will be included in this portion of the student’s grade.
Band Ensemble Performance Schedule
The following performances are currently scheduled for the band. Additional performances are currently being planned for the spring time so look forward to further updates.